One of the hardest things about this site is going to be coming up with appropriate movies. Especially when I'm constantly refining just what constitutes a Triskaidekafiles Film.
I've compiled a list that's ok and a good start, but there's a lot of movies on the list that I feel don't quite fit the mold. I want to float these past my readers and see what y'all think, and either give them a thumbs up or a veto.
In addition, I am always open to any movie you don't see on the list. I've got a lot of movies that I'm not going to list here, though. These are just the maybes, and the whys I'm waffling on them.
- Bubba Ho-Tep. This one feels too new, but is perfectly in the style I love.
- Idle Hands. Too deliberately funny? Not enough horror? Too new?
- Black Christmas. Either, both. Never seen the first so not sure about it. The remake might be too new. Although I do like the idea of comparing originals and remakes somewhere down the line.
- Shadow of the Vampire. Feels like it might be too straight to do, but might be fun.
- Shaun of the Dead. Too new, and actually too damned good, I think. But might make a good example of doing things right.
- Dracula: Dead and Loving It. Too much on the comedy side of the spectrum.
- Dead Snow. I've not seen this, so hard to judge it.
- Nic Cage's Wicker Man. Less horror, more horrible. A good excuse to watch it, but might be a poor fit for Trisk.
- Stay Alive. Perfectly in the style that feels right, but feels too new?
- Urban Legend, the original one. Might be too new, and too good. Hard to tell.
- My Name is Bruce/Man With the Screaming Brain. We gotta do something with Bruce Campbell at some point. These fall into the too new category as well though.
- Evil Dead 1 or 2. I'm really torn on these. They're old, they're cheesy, they're pretty perfect. But they're also classics. Can I mock the classics?
- Cry_Wolf. I'll admit, I really think this movie is quite well done. It might be too good for us!
- Cthulhu. The recent movie. It's corny, but not quite in the way I'm looking for. I'm not sure if this fits the site at all.
- House on Haunted Hill. The new version. The original should end up here someday. But again, is it too new?
- Pulse. The American version. So awful. But is it our kind of awful? See other whinging on the newness.
- Slither/Snakes on a Plane. These two are a lot like Shaun, in that they run with the cheese and over the topness, and would be perfect fits, although they feel almost too new for the site.
So yeah, there's my list of maybes. The definites I'm keeping to myself to keep some surprises under my trenchcoat. I'd love to hear what others think out of those I should definitely look at, or what others I don't list.
Also, as a kind of catch-all question; should the site of a cutoff date for which movies don't get reviewed? Anything newer than 2000 or something like that? Something about modern movies just don't quite reach the charm of the past few decades, but there's still a few that fit the mold.
Share your thoughts!